Login to Complete a Submission or to Access Judging Panel
Who should apply?
Any student enrolled in High School (grades 9-12) who demonstrates talent and a passion for writing musical theatre songs that could be part of a musical theatre production (your song can be in any style or genre of music though!).
What Kinds of Applications are Competitive?
Competitive applicants (individuals or writing teams) are those who can showcase their unique songwriting voice in their written narrative and demonstrate their talent through an audio submission of a song with clear characters and a strong story to tell.
What Students Receive through the Songwriting Challenge:
- Students will be matched with a mentor and music director who are working professionally in musical theatre.
- Together, students, mentors, and music directors will meet via Zoom to workshop and further develop their song into a Broadway-stage-ready composition.
- The students' final songs will be recorded professionally by Broadway vocalists and musicians. They will be released as a digital album on all major streaming services, and broadcast on iHeartRadio Broadway.
The application cycle will begin in the Spring of 2021.
- April 6, 2021 – 2021 Application “official” launch
- May 17, 2021 – Deadline to apply!
- End of July 2021 – Public Announcement of 2021 winners*
*Note – all applications submitted will be notified regardless via email by 7/31/2021.
- August 2021 - Students paired with mentors and music directors
- August - September 2021 - Students and mentors workshop and develop songs via zoom.
- October - November 2021 - Students' songs professionally recorded for studio album
(Please note the dates listed above may be subject to change. We aim to keep everyone informed and will give a timely notice in the event of these changes.)